Fresno Building Healthy Communities is a fair chance employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, origin, gender, national origin, age, marital status, military service, disability or sexual orientation. Reasonable accommodations may be provided upon request. All applicants tentatively selected for this position will be required to pass a background screening and may be required to submit to tests to screen for drug and alcohol use prior to employment.
Full Time, Exempt
Marketing & Communications Director
Under the general supervision of the Marketing & Communications Director, the Communications Specialist uses specialized knowledge and skills to implement, maintain, and manage internal and external communication efforts.
The Communications Specialist works closely with the Marketing & Communications Director to ensure active, consistent and meaningful communications on a day-to-day basis in accordance with the organization’s strategic communications plan.
1. Promote, publicize, and archive Fresno BHC news, activities, and successes via all communication platforms and media outlets.
2. Develop and maintain relationships with media, including radio, television, newspaper and electronic outlets.
3. Serve as a contact for media inquiries and requests for information, disseminate information when necessary, including writing press releases and statements.
4. Ensure all communications adhere to the organization’s style guide.
5. Provide support to staff and partners as needed related to the use of communication platforms.
6. Maintain Fresno BHC’s media contact lists.
7. Maintain cooperative working relationships with stakeholders, partners, elected officials (when warranted) and media.
8. Follow consistent communications protocol for Fresno BHC events, meetings, and gatherings with an eye towards professional Fresno BHC representation.
9. Plan and execute press and special events.
10. Maintain records that measure the scope and effectiveness of messages, relating them to goals identified in Fresno BHC project plans, and assist with the preparation of regular progress reports.
11. Participate in assigned local, regional and statewide activities.
12. Maintain flexible hours as some meetings and program activities may occur outside normal office hours, on weekends, and in various locations.
13. Travel as needed.
14. Other duties as assigned.
The Communications Specialist must be comfortable working independently, be detail oriented, highly efficient and able to manage several projects at once. Must be able to meet the responsibilities of the position, deadlines on a regular basis and meet high-quality standards on all activities and materials.
The Communications Specialist must be an excellent writer and adhere to Ap style. It is critical that the person understand the importance of targeting communications, including how to write for a specific audience and select the most effective communications medium. The person must also understand the importance of consistency in communications – in their writing and design and that of Fresno BHC staff.
Must be a graduate from an accredited college or university with a bachelor’s degree in a job-related area and have at least three years’ experience in communications with demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced environment with multiple competing demands. In lieu of degree, a combination of a high school diploma/GED and five years of experience in a related field with demonstrated ability to succeed in this position may be substituted.
Must possess a valid California driver’s license and verifiable automobile insurance and have the use of a reasonably reliable automobile for use on the job, ability to pass background checks including LiveScan fingerprinting and must be able to occasionally lift up to 40 pounds.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
1. Deep interest in and commitment to the vision, mission, and work of Fresno BHC.
2. Must be flexible and adaptable; creative thinker and problem solver who is also open to the insight of others.
3. Excellent organization skills and attention to detail; ability to prepare timely, proper, clear and concise reports, summaries, abstracts, correspondence and other documentation.
4. Ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions.
5. Strong listening, interpersonal, networking, and customer service skills; demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, clearly and concisely both orally and in writing for a variety of audiences.
6. Media relations experience, including writing press releases and statements, building media lists, and collecting media mentions.
7. Thorough knowledge of branding and its application to various communications.
8. Competency in print and video production processes; fundamental visual, typographic, and print and electronic design disciplines and principles.
9. Thorough knowledge of media operations.
10. Demonstrated success in implementing strong communication campaigns.
11. Ability to analyze and evaluate information from a strategic perspective.
12. Familiarity with and ability to operate modern office equipment including computer hardware, software, copy machines, scanners, multi-line phone systems, internet and web-based applications.
13. Proficiency in Mac/PC systems, Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Creative Suite, MailChimp, Constant Contact, and WordPress products.
14. Display a high degree of initiative, maturity, integrity, loyalty, accountability, creativity, and good judgment; excellence in professionalism with the ability to maintain strict confidentiality.
15. Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with people from diverse backgrounds and communities; ability to work independently and as a member of a team.
16. Ability to speak, read, and write a second language is highly preferred, but not required.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands and fingers. The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, sit, reach with hands and arms, kneel, talk, and hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move equipment and supplies weighing up to 40 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The position typically works indoors in an air-conditioned office with a mixture of natural, incandescent and florescent light. Typical noise levels are muted by acoustic ceilings, carpets, and wall panels. Frequently, the position is called upon to work outside of the office at a public meeting or event. Some of these occur indoors, while others occur outside with exposure to weather and temperature extremes and moderate noise levels. This position requires travel and the ability to interact with others in both small and large group settings. At times, this position may include periods of extended physical activity, such as walking/standing at community events and/or moving and setting up equipment. The employee is frequently required to meet multiple demands from several people.
NOTE: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the person assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and requirements, which may change from time to time based on business needs. When appropriate, reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions of the job, so long as those accommodations do not create an undue hardship for the organization. However, regular attendance and promptness are considered part of each employee’s essential job functions.